To become an interpreter you need to demonstrate competence as detailed in the national interpreting standards established for both spoken and signed languages. The national standards define three areas required for an interpreter: theoretical knowledge, language fluency and practical interpreting. There are two different levels of BSL/English interpreters: Registered Sign Language Interpreter (RSLI) and Trainee Sign Language Interpreter (TSLI).
This system allows for interpreters to either follow a university qualification or to compile an individual portfolio under the NVQ system of assessment to meet the national interpreting standard’s requirements.
Why not view our routes to registration slide or watch our Future Professionals video below:
Levels of Interpreter Training
1. Those who are acquiring theoretical knowledge in accordance with the national interpreting standards and follow the criteria below can apply to be a TSLI with the National Registers of Communication Professionals working with Deaf and Deafblind people (the NRCPD) if they:
- are undertaking an approved development plan or an approved interpreter training course that leads to Registered status
- are supervised or mentored by appropriately qualified or experienced Registered Sign Language Interpreter(s); and
- have sufficient interpreter training or experience to be aware of developing professional competence boundaries:
- languages at Extended Level and meet the requirements set out in the Trainee Interpreter Standards
Further Information can be found on the NRCPD Website
TSLIs and TSLTs are eligible to join as Associate Members of ASLI
2. Those that have proven BSL skills (at equivalent of NVQ Level 6), knowledge and practical experience meeting the national interpreting standards are eligible to be Full Members of ASLI (MASLI) and are eligible to apply to the NRCPD to become Registered Sign Language Interpreters (RSLI). Those eligible to become registered Sign Language Translators, (RSLT) are also eligible to be Full Members oF ASLI.
A full list of approved courses can be found here