- This event has passed.
Online Training: Access to Work
17th January 2022 @ 6:45 pm - 9:00 pm£15.00 – £25.00
Presenter Darren Townsend-Hanscomb
For Early Career Professionals
(Experienced professionals and Deaf people to follow in 2022)
ASLI ATW webinars
ATW finances – Invoicing & staying on top of payments
Work done by [interpreter] practitioners as a whole is predominantly in Access to Work settings. Given the importance of ATW work to your career, income and customers, it’s worth taking a little time to explore this area.
This two hour interactive webinar covers the essentials to make ATW interpreting work for you and your customers, including:
• What is ATW?
• How is ATW work different from other work and why does that matter? (Contracts, payments and risk).
• Accepting work and working within my competency.
• How do I work out what I should I charge – budgets, quoting and agreeing fees?
• Staying healthy – remote v. face to face working, working conditions and breaks.
• Invoicing, and what to include on my invoice (including for cancellations)?
• When and how do I sign claim forms? (Including an introduction to protecting yourself from potential fraud).
• What do I do if there are problems with payments?
Participants will be invited to send their ATW questions to Darren before the workshop.
There will be a second ATW workshop in 2022, for more experienced professionals and those who have attended this workshop, exploring ATW work in more depth.
Darren Townsend-Handscomb is an interpreter, trainer, psychologist and coach. Darren has worked in the interpreting field for 30+ years, as staff and freelance, in every domain you can imagine (and some you certainly can’t). Amongst other things he runs DeafATW ,an online and casework resource for Deaf people and interpreters. His interpreter training website is www.moonpoppy.training