Safeguarding Training for Interpreters
Saturday October 14th 2017
Manchester Deaf Centre
10:00am – 3:30pm
How to recognise a potential safeguarding concern
- What is safeguarding
- Definitions & forms of abuse & neglect
- Who experiences abuse
Whose role is it to report a safeguarding concern?
- Discussions about in what situation it may or may not be the interpreters’ role to consider a safeguarding referral. Interpreters can bring their own cases/examples if they wish.
- Discussions to help identifying personal standards versus concerns that would warrant safeguarding referral.
Dilemmas and how to work through them
- Legally, Ethically & Morally
- Relevant legislation
- Consequences of child abuse and neglect in adulthood
How to share a safeguarding concern
- How a freelance interpreter can share a concern regardless of where they are working in the U.K