- This event has passed.
CPD: A guide to Islamic BSL
October 16 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
A Guide to Islamic BSL
For details of how to book please see the course flyer
• For interpreters, CSWs and other language professionals working with and for Muslims within Islamic settings to fully understand the principles, culture and BSL vocabulary of Islam.
The course is four hours long, with a half hour break in the middle and some ad hoc five-minute breaks. It will include a short Q&A session at the end.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to
• Understand the history, principles, and culture of Islam
• Recognise and use relevant BSL vocabulary which is correct in context
• Relate BSL vocabulary to the concepts and principles of Islam
• Understand more clearly the customs they may be expected to follow when working in Islamic contexts.
a. Commonly used Islamic expressions and their meanings
b. BSL vocabulary used in the context of Islamic culture
a. A brief history of Islam
b. The reasoning behind the BSL signs used
c. The differences between the most seen sects of Islam
d. The differences between how Islam is portrayed in the media, and the facts about Islam.
a. The understanding of the concepts of Islam to the use of the BSL vocabulary
b. The understanding of customs and culture they may be expected to follow when working in Islamic settings.
There is a booklet which includes all the information given in the course, as well as a video of the BSL signs used.
Tutor: Ayesha B. Gavin, BA (Hons), BA (NVQ), PGCE, A1/V1 assessor, native Deaf Muslim.
All enquiries regarding the course or content therein may be directed to Ayesha Gavin, [email protected]
© AYESHA COMMUNICATIONS 2020 www.ayeshacommunications.com