- This event has passed.
Free Webinar for ASLI members: ‘Designated Interpreting in an Austrian Pharmacy’ by Patricia Brück
20th May 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Free CPD opportunity!
20th May 2019 7.30pm-8.30pm
Designated Interpreting in an Austrian Pharmacy: The
Views of the parties concerned
Patricia Brück, M.A. and Elke Schaumberger
This webinar presents the results of a research study on the views of staff and customers of the only Austrian pharmacy employing a Deaf pharmacist who has regular contact with hearing customers via a designated interpreter.
This piece of qualitative research was conducted by practice researchers and looked for answers to the following questions:
• What does the Deaf professional expect from the designated interpreter?
• In which situations does the Deaf professional use an interpreter in the internal communication with his co-workers who are semi-literate sign language users?
• How do co-workers of a Deaf professional view the designated interpreter?
• Is the designated interpreter considered a staff member?
• Do hearing customers react to the presence of an interpreter in a communication/consultation with a Deaf health expert?
• How do hearing customers view the role of the designated interpreter?
• How does the owner of the pharmacy feel about the Deaf professional’s contribution and the presence of a free-lance interpreter in her pharmacy?
The results are discussed and linked to some of the available literature on the topic.
This webinar will be presented in English and interpreted into BSL.
Send an email to [email protected] to sign up!