- This event has passed.
Medical Interpreting Workshop
16th November 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
This has been organised through the CEA region but please note that booking for this event will be directly with Clive Mason: For a booking form please email: [email protected] Cost £120
1-Day Medical Interpreting Workshop with Clive Mason
Date: Saturday 16th November 2019
Time: 10:00 – 16:30
Venue: Wesley’s Chapel, City Road, London, EC1Y 1AU
When interpreting in a medical setting, have you ever found yourself faced with a situation that seemed suddenly beyond your capability and definitely outside of your comfort zone? Have you arrived at a seemingly simple appointment and found yourself struggling to produce a good, effective BSL interpretation?
We will look different strategies that you can use to interpret complex medical concepts visually and effectively. We will also discuss the productive lexicon and how this can be used to good effect. We will cover some practical tips to help you navigate the challenges that medical interpreting can throw at you and your client, both in the hospital, and in the smaller GP setting.
The course covers many areas relating to medical terminology which would be very useful for interpreters:
· Medical Classifiers – Interpreting anatomical descriptions
· Looking at common symptoms and conditions.
· How and where to articulate sensitive information.
· Strategies for conveying complex medical conditions into BSL, and considering this from the Deaf patient’s perspective
· How to interpret different types of medication, side effects and symptoms
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
· Develop strategies/techniques for dealing with more specialised terms
· Incorporate productive lexicon use in medical settings.
· Be aware of the linguistic and cultural differences between English and BSL
· Have more confidence in dealing with the many challenges that arise in medical interpreting
Tea and coffee provided.
Price per Day: £120 per day (CPD 6 hours)
Within a safe, supportive and fun environment you will be encouraged to try new ways of using BSL and to discover the linguistic artist within you!
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.
For further details and a registration form to book, please email: [email protected]