- This event has passed.
Introduction to Mental Health for British Sign Language Interpreters
May 13 @ 9:30 am - 1:30 pm£30.00
Delivered by Dr. Sally Austen, a consultant clinical psychologist with 30 years’ experience in working in the NHS with Deaf and deafened people who have mental health and/or cognitive difficulties.
Sally also works privately under AustenPsychology providing supervision to clinicians working with Deaf people and to BSL interpreters working in mental health.
From this course, we hope you will leave
- Being more informed and thus able to choose to whether to accept mental health jobs
- Being more likely to accept mental health jobs
- Understanding the intentions of hearing clinicians before sessions
- Being more able to clarify the intentions of hearing clinicians during sessions
- Being more informed of some of the jargon and terminology used
- Being more informed of the various mental health and cognitive difficulties and how these might present in deaf people.
- Understanding the concepts behind mental health assessment and intervention.
- Feeling less responsible for difficulties within sessions or deskilled by these difficulties